Carl Edward Chambers is up for parole again. I don’t think there’s a lot ‘new’ to say. He should never walk free. Period. I understand the asinine rules of mandatory release that the state of TX didn’t think through when they allowed for first degree felons to be freed, even if on parole/”supervision”. Repeat offenders and those who have caused bodily harm to another human being have no business being among law abiding citizens. They lost that right with their CALCULATED DECISIONS to hurt others. The State of TX is complicit with what happened to me. All they can do now is keep Chambers contained like the animal he is.
1. He plea bargained to a 60 year sentence, and is not due for mandatory release (again) YET. It’s time he does ONE thing positive, and complete his incarceration (as much as possible with “mandatory-freedom-to-hurt-more-innocent-people” still in play with this case). He’s already botched one round of mandatory release, so why give him the chance to hurt someone else? THAT is my primary reason for continuing to protest his release. My life is trashed, and I’ve made sure I have plenty of options for defending myself. He was very calculated with what he did to me, even stealing my address and phone number from the sister he was staying with, in order to target me. I can’t be the only woman who reminds him of his first wife…. that’s what I was told- I looked like her. I’m fairly standard-issue…. overweight, brown/gray haired middle-aged white woman. Lots of targets in the ‘free world’.
2. EVERY time he’s been on parole, he’s committed a more violent crime. Murder is the only thing off of his resumé, that we know of. Why give him the opportunity?
3. I’m getting older, and have multiple medical issues, to the point of being disabled for over a decade. Because of the severity of what Chambers (I refer to him as Numbnuts) did to me, NOBODY else has touched me. I can’t stand the thought of being ‘handled’ and violated. The sensation of having another human’s body heat and breath near me is nauseating. So, I know I’ll die alone. When I was younger, I always envisioned a life with a husband and house full of kids. Normal. Happy. Fun. LOVE.
4. My parents are both gone now, but they suffered in knowing what had happened to me. My dad read the very graphic police statement I gave, when they visited just a few months after it happened. There is always collateral damage when someone violates another human being. My folks didn’t deserve to have to deal with what happened to me. They lived 1200 miles away, and I didn’t want them to come initially since there was so much going on with statements, meeting with various legal folks and the rape crisis volunteer, etc. I encouraged them to talk to their pastor, or even friends… but my mom’s close co-worker at the time took me to dinner the next time I flew home, and asked if I’d been raped- she had watched changes in my mom, and mom wasn’t talking about it.
Initially, my mom just wanted to know if I was pregnant, and I was- but thankfully the spawned little bastard fell into the toilet at about 10-12 weeks after the rape. I’d never had sex before, so I know ‘what ‘ it belonged to. I wanted nothing to do with it, but struggled with abortion. I am adopted, so didn’t want to go that route… so when the cramping started that morning that I’ll never forget, I was SO relieved to see that mass of %50 sociopathic DNA swirl away forever. Had I gone the adoption route, what could I ever have told that kid if he/she came looking for me ? How could I ever have spun the tale to make that kid feel like he/she wasn’t one big fat felonious mistake? And I wouldn’t lie to an adoptee who simply wants the truth about his/her ‘roots’. That was the only baby I ever ‘carried’…. the impact of the wine cooler bottle that Chambers rammed up my vagina for many, many minutes tore uterine ligaments…. think about that. What kind of force is required to rip internal, unseen ligaments? I could not have raised that ‘thing’ without prejudice, and that would have been unforgivable on my part to do to a child. SO, the toilet ‘delivery’ was a blessing. And still traumatic. Rape….the crime that keeps on giving.
5. The person I was before January 10, 1987 is DEAD. “She” died the minute I knew what was going on… the knife at my neck, and threats to kill me repeatedly did the job. My body may have survived, but my dreams of a husband and kids of my own was gone. For good. I avoided having time available during ‘normal’ social times like weekends and daylight. I worked a lot of nights and weekends for a nice excuse to never be alone on a date. My view of the world was mutated to see ‘plausible risk’ everywhere. I’ve managed to not be paranoid, but I know that safety is never a guarantee, and nobody really ever knows what someone else is capable of. That is my worldview post-rape. There is no ‘safe’.
6. He still owes me a ‘why?’ answer. He could easily send it through the Board of Pardons and Parole and it would be forwarded to me. The lack of any sort of explanation tells me that he would do it again in a heartbeat, and has no remorse. Just another day for him. S.O.P. for Numbnuts. I used to have ‘revenge fantasies’ early on, involving a vegetable peeler, and Numbnuts restrained in a chair for me to ‘peel’ the part of him that hurt the most. It’s been years since I imagined that, as revenge isn’t ‘me’. But it was a way to cope for a while early on. Now, I just want what I asked for with the plea bargain. Sixty years. No more, no less. He’ll be in the TX DOCJ system until he’s at least 88 years old. He’s nearly 60 now- and there is nothing about being 60 that makes him less of a risk. Last time he was out, he had a lawn-mowing business (enabling him to be alone with homeowners any time he was ‘mowing the lawn’). How was that idea approved? He even moved while on “intense” supervision. So intense he moved without anybody knowing. Seriously? That’s “intense” supervision? I was told he would have an ankle GPS monitor and have to give detailed daily activity plans to his parole officer. I guess “moving today” didn’t make the list. Convict + secrets = more crime.
7. Last go around with parole, he had obviously lied his way into the life of some woman with no self-esteem, and she married him. WHILE IN PRISON FOR RAPING AND BEATING ME. He’s still manipulating women. Couldn’t have been honest about what he’d done- or she’s just nuts and passively suicidal. Her grandsons wrote notes on Chambers’ behalf that sounded like someone with an 8th grade education had dictated them. I guess Numbnuts was allowed around kids because he opted for adults to violate. NO WAY I’d let any kid I had be around someone like Numbnuts. Same idea as letting John Wayne Gacy be a Boy Scout Leader. Just not a good idea.
8. I’m a lot more angry now than I was years ago. Mostly it reflects the isolation and no family of my own. Had I not been raped, I would have had a shot at “normal”. Chambers killed me. He killed my dreams. He killed my belief that most people are good. He killed my ability to feel whole. He killed any desire to be physically close to another person. He tormented my parents. He impregnated me and caused weeks of torment until the spawn was flushed. He’s shown no remorse that I’ve ever heard about (but he’s a sociopath, so not expecting much there).
Geez… just thought of this. For 8 years more than half of my life, I’ve been a rape survivor. Still dealing with the aftermath of someone who CHOSE to make his life useless and cause irreparable damage to mine. My life stopped at age 23. And yet 31 years later, I’m still having to justify keeping my “killer” locked up.