Tuesday, December 10, 2019
I just watched the news about the specific articles of impeachment against Donald Trump. I’m not reacting the way I anticipated. It is sad, and nothing to be gleeful about, no matter how much this president has abused his office, and obstructed the truth. But I cried. This is something that had to be done. I think most folks realize he will not be removed from office, because of the partisan tone to DC and all things political. But for only the 3rd time in our country’s history, a sitting president has had articles of impeachment issued against him. It was inevitable if he acted AS president like he did as a campaigner or candidate.
I have been a lifelong GOP voter for the most part (never party over principles), but changed my affiliation to “Independent” before the 2016 election when Trump was named the candidate. From the relative little I knew then, I couldn’t support a candidate who fits the diagnostic criteria for Narcissistic Personality Disorder- with some intense Borderline ‘episodes’ in his use of chaos for personal amusement. He also loves someone until they disagree with him- that’s the sign of a very insecure person. His ‘pussy grabbing’ comments will never be defensible to me. Sexual assault is very serious, and he treats women like a vending machine for his ego- without their consent. (and there have been some who consented, and got a big payday to buy their silence).
The people I grew up with are/were conservative evangelicals. When growing up, hate was not something that was preached, encouraged, or sanctioned. Now, I don’t go to that church, because my beliefs in treating everyone with compassion, helping those in need, and a non-judgmental view on those who fit into the right wing rhetoric- LGBTQ and abortion- don’t mesh with their beliefs. I don’t understand what makes LGBTQ folks ‘tick’- but I’ve known and worked with enough, as well as having LGBTQ family members, that I can only respond in love and kindness as I found every last one of them to be great co-workers, friends, and family. After being raped and ending up pregnant, I did think about abortion. I couldn’t go through with it, but I understand why someone would. I miscarried, which was about all my wrecked brain could handle during that time between the 6 hour rape and the trial of the rapist. I don’t understand how Trump has any supporters who aren’t neo-Nazis. I know they exist- I just don’t understand them at all.
Things I can’t support-
– pathological lying
– hiding behind a lack of understanding of the Constitution (“I can do anything I want”)
– basing ALL decisions about staff/other people on how they back his fragile ego (too many links to share- you can Google)
– mocking the disabled
– xenophobia and slandering entire groups of people based on race or religion
– separating children from their families
– associating AND DEFENDING dictators and communist leaders
– upending trade around the world
– using the office for personal gain
– withholding aid from a vulnerable young democracy- and by virtue of being the president of the United States (a much higher rank) to manipulate a newly elected president, making demands before Congressional Bi-Partisan funding would be released…until he got caught.
– the erosion of any integrity of the office of the POTUS and the USA
– alienating other world leaders with nasty Tweets (Google to pick your favorite in the list of millions)
– his treatment and views on women
How did we get here? How did so many people (3 million less than those who voted for his opponent) fall for his BS? How is it not glaringly obvious that this is the political equivalent of a mob boss?
How do we recover?